Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Technology For the Worse

From my trials thus far, I think that technology has granted civilization a greater quality of life in several areas. However, just an optimistic view of technology cannot be the comprehensive one. Therefore, it would only be right to consult an opposite viewpoint. Philip Atkinson argues just that in his appropriately named online book, A Study of Our Decline. He claims, “Technology is the artificial enhancement of human power. It should make us stronger and smarter, however our demented community is discovering that it now has the opposite effect. …The improved cleverness and flexibility of our machines have caused social chaos and economic stagnation.” While I have been developing my definition otherwise, Atkinson’s opinion makes me a little skeptical of my progress. I think his points are valid, but they do not coincide with mine. I need to merge our ideas for conclusiveness.

So since now, my definition has been an understandable, adaptable, and present product of thought that improves the quality of life for a specific group of people. To integrate Atkinson’s ideas, I think I will have to modify whether technology improves quality of life or not. According to Atkinson, technology has stunted civilization, possibly with that intention. Implicitly, technology’s creators only hoped for change, regardless of whether the outcome would be good or bad. Altering my definition, technology is now an understandable, adaptable, and present product of thought that intended to change quality of life for a specific group of people. I think this new modification adequately encompasses all intentions of technology’s creators.

No comments: